Kinder AFB+ with Harp Attack

Topics about effect pedals, any brand, any type.

Moderators: Mark B, Stephen S, arnenym, mrland77, T-Bone Bruce

Kinder AFB+ with Harp Attack

Postby joshnat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:38 am

Hi Folks,

I've been using my Harp Attack into the PA with excellent results, but for smaller gigs, I've got a SS Fender Princeton Chorus I'd like to feed the Harp Attack into. Then I would just play at stage volume.

I'm pretty worried about feedback though, so I'm thinking I need my Kinder AFB+ in the chain. Kinder says the AFB+ should go just before the tube amp. In this case, that would be the Harp Attack. Does it make sense to go this way, or put the Kinder box just before the SS amp? Any experiences out there? Is anyone else using the Harp Attack into a SS amp?

My current chain is Shure 545>Harp Attack>Boss FRV-1 reverb>H&K Red Box DI>PA. With the SS amp, it would/could look like: Shure 545>Kinder AFB+>Harp Attack>Boss FRV-1 reverb>Fender Princeton Chorus.

Thanks!
joshnat

Re: Kinder AFB+ with Harp Attack

Postby Rick "Coach" » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Josh,

I recently completed a pedal board and had an issue with feedback especially while playin' my Asatic T-3 crystal. Stephen S found that the LW "Harp Octave" would cure the feedback problem. I changed the order of my pedals and by golly he is correct-a-mundo!!! The "HO" is much more $$$ effective than the Kinder AFB also.

"Coach" OUT
Rick "Coach"

Postby 9000 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:32 pm

I wasn't having feedback problems. However, I've found that the Harp Octave definitely allows more volume before feedback...not just more sweep on the dial. I'm afraid it's going to cost me the little hearing that I have left. LOL

Postby allende » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:52 am

just stand to the side of your amp...aim it at the guitar player...payback's a bitch!! Seriously, I love my HO, gives me more usable volume before feedback--I put it first in the line of my pedals with just a touch of effect, so it also loads the mic with the proper impedance. Turn the effect up with a low F or G harp.
allende

Postby joshnat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 pm

I gigged with the HA plus AFB last weekend, and ended up putting the AFB between the wireless receiver and the HA, followed by my reverb pedal. All of this went into a SS Fender amp, that never sounded so good before. No feedback (as expected), but the tone was surprisingly good, as my previous experiences with the AFB was that it made the tone sound really brittle.
joshnat

Postby Stephen S » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:19 am

I could see that working better. Randy has given most of his pedals a voicing that's a little rolled-off compared to the AFB+ or Jayphat's baseline sound--his stuff sounds a little smoother, warmer, seems to filter some harmonic detail. The AFB+ or Jayphat sound terrific to me with a cathode-bias push-pull amp like an old Supro or my tweaked SJ1 where I want to hear everything that's going on; not sure I would want to hear everything from that SS amp you're talking about. If you put the HA first there, the mic's signal goes downstream in the warmed-up/smoothed-out LW voice, and then there's no issue if the AFB+ transmits that with unrelenting accuracy.
Stephen S

Return to Effect Pedals